queue  6
support

Thread: [SOLVED] Font Customization

Font Customization

Hey Guys,

Sorry to have to reach out but I'm hoping someone can help with a couple of questions. I am have little to no experience in web design but am currently working on a portfolio site (which has been a real challenge!) I have read over the theme guide as best I can and have been able to work most things out but there are a few things I need help with if you wouldn't mind clarifying if possible.

Fonts
    I want to be able to customize the fonts more but not sure what to do next. I have looked over the guide document multiple times but it seems quite limited what I can do.

For example on my splash page I want to be able to edit each line of copy individually so the main header is a specific typeface, casing and size while the subhead would be something different.

Also I dont want to use any serif fonts throughout, I want to use 2 sans serif fonts but there doesn't seem to be an option to do that.

At present the customization seems to be limited to picking one sans serif and one serif for the entire theme rather than being able to custom each section. Is there a way to do this outside of coding?

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Rory

Hi, The theme options panel allows you to choose 2 different fonts, one for headings and one for body text or "general font". Despite one of them being called a "Sarif" font, you are not limited to choosing a serif font there, you can choose sans serif fonts from the list too. Unfortunately however if you want more specific control on fonts over and above that offered by the current breakdown of title/body fonts, you would need to do that with custom CSS selectors. This is custom work and as you have described your level of experience, it would be outside of that bracket, so I wouldn't recommend trying to do it yourself.

Hi Donagh,

Thanks very much for the help, greatly appreciated. You are right if I tried CSS Im sure I'd make a mess of it!

If I could trouble you for one more thing - when I change both fonts to sans serif, there still seems to be some areas that automatically stay as italicized serif fonts. Is there any way to change these areas to a sans serif font easily?

Cheers

Rory

Hi Rory,

Please set up the serif fonts as you mentioned and then send me links to the areas which are italicized and I'll try to help you with a snippet or two. These areas can use either of the font families set for the other fonts also. Let me know which one to use in each case.

Thanks a million Donagh,

Sorry I know I sound like a complete idiot but is there a way to send a private message?

Cheers

Rory

Hi, Its best to keep all issue related stuff here. If you are worried about privacy of your url/website just wrap any private info in HIDE tags, like this:

[ hide ]Private info here[ / hide ]

The contents of these tags are only visible to staff. (just remove spaces inside the []brackets - i added spaces here so the tags wouldn"t work and you could see them. Like this [HIDE]

Apologies Donagh I was out of the country for a few days

** Hidden Content: You don't have sufficient privileges to see this hidden data **
    is my site. If you see copy like "Creativity: connecting..." under neath the main intro and further down "to see my full portfolio..." they are italicized and I'm not sure how to change at present. Anything you can do would be a big help.

Thank you so much

Hi Rory,

Those pieces of text have a class "serif" added which has the following styles:

Code:
    .serif{
        font-family: Georgia, serif;
        font-style: italic;
        font-weight: 400;
        letter-spacing: 0;
        text-transform: none;
    }
    If you want to play around with the styles of those bits just paste that above snippet into the Custom CSS field in your theme options panel (general tab) and change the "italic" bit to "normal", this will fix the italics. Feel free to change any of those other bit too, or add more CSS properties if needed.

Thank you very much Donagh, you have been a massive help!