queue  19
support

Thread: Slider Video Blank on Smartphone and Tablet

Slider Video Blank on Smartphone and Tablet

Hello again!

First and foremost thanks for the previous responses. They worked great.

I'm utilizing the video function for my main background on the homepage. It works great on PC but does not show up at all on Smartphone or tablet (blank white space). Is there a way around this issue? Maybe have the video on PC and static images on smartphone and tablet?

Thank you.

Hi, Yes background videos are not permitted on mobile devices due to operating system imitations, hence our themes include a function which searches for an image with the same name as the video, within the same folder as the video, and if it finds one, it will use it in place of the video on smartphones. So create a video placeholder image, name it exactly as you have named your video, apart from the filetype (.jpg or .png) and make sure its in the exact same folder as the video.

Hi Donagh,

I've a follow up question that is puzzling me because it only seems to have started for no apparent reason of a change. I have Video Slider selected saved as both a mp4 and ogg and it's been working fine and still does on Chrome and Safari.

I only wanted to change the jpg image only for smartphones and tablets and selected a solid black jpg resized for 800 x 450. I deleted the previous jpg file that had the same name as the two video files (Anorak-opening-reel-revised-3 with appropriate filetype), renamed the solid black file on my desktop and imported it into Media.

Now on a tablet, it doesn't show anything at all, just blank white without the scrolling Headlines. On a smartphone, it somehow shows the previous jpg photo file that no longer even exists in the Media.

Even if I attempt to reupload the previous photo that worked fine, the same problem persists: the blank white image, etc.

Can you please help me out as I'm stuck as to why or as to what to do next?

Thank you,
    Carwyn

site: http://anorakfilms.com
    Last edited by Carwyn; 08-14-2016 at 18:28.

Hello Donagh,

Just a quick note to say you can ignore my post of yesterday. I just found the solution on another thread where you explained you have to ensure all files are uploaded on the same day/time otherwise WP places them automatically in different folders.

Have just uploaded all three files (mp4, ogv and jpg) at once and everything now works correctly with both desktop and smartphone/tablet version.

Thank you,
    Carwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Carwyn View Post
    Hello Donagh,

Just a quick note to say you can ignore my post of yesterday. I just found the solution on another thread where you explained you have to ensure all files are uploaded on the same day/time otherwise WP places them automatically in different folders.

Have just uploaded all three files (mp4, ogv and jpg) at once and everything now works correctly with both desktop and smartphone/tablet version.

Thank you,
    Carwyn
    I am stuck with a blank image now no matter if I put a video up or the slider images back up =\ any advice?

Hi, Please share a link to your website. I'm assuming you've followed the advice from the above posts about 2 versions of the video file and an image file of the same name in the same folder on your server. if not, make sure all of those are there first.